Saturday, October 11, 2014

Being the Mom Instead of Getting a Break :: Embrace the Ordinary (vol 12)

This week, embracing the ordinary meant forgoing blogging.  It's a hobby and creative outlet that I enjoy very much.  But it's not a job.  And it's certainly not my vocation.  My vocation as a wife and mother came first this week... over and over and over again.

Each afternoon when I sat down to write, something came up.  Thursday, for instance... The girls started nap time at 1, the boys and I did afternoon lessons from 1 to 2 and then they started their rest time.  I heard some in-and-out-of-bed activity coming from Clare's room and went up.  I found her lounging in bed surrounded by books and toys... and wearing a bathing suit.   (decidedly not approved nap-time behavior or nap-wear)

Needless to say, I don't normally take photos of "bad behavior" but this was too good to pass up :)  

She never fell asleep and ended up looking at her books down in the living room with me.

Yesterday, just as I finished with the boys and finally sat down to write wonder what I should write about, James woke up from his short nap, screaming.  Something or other about cutting a tooth...  It wasn't how I had hoped to spend the afternoon, but once again, blogging got nixed and I had some very delightful roll-around-on-the-living-room-floor time with my favorite baby.  

It was exactly how I was supposed to spend the afternoon!



"...there is something holy, something divine hidden in the most ordinary
situations, and it is up to each on of you to discover it."
Passionately Loving the World, St. Josemaria Escriva


Linking up with the lovely Gina at Someday (hopefully) They'll Be Saints!

2 comments:

  1. <3 Isn't it wonderful to be able to set aside things for those extra unexpected times with our kids? Ok, admittedly, sometimes I do it with a grumble in my heart, but then I warm up to it. It's HARD to have personal time nixed because our vocation calls (haha)... Thank you for sharing this. I really needed to reminder to embrace what I am *supposed* to be doing and not only what I *want* to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kept this post open on my tabs to come back to. Finally read it and I have so many days like the ones you wrote about. I have my times where I'm good at embracing the moments and engaging the kids and then I have others where I fight it or fill it with something I never weighs more than my vocation. It's hard to choose the good all the time. But I'm thankful for the grace I get for the times I do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...