Thursday, August 14, 2014

Bread Machine Blueberry Monkey Bread



We went blueberry picking yesterday morning.  And it just so happened to coincide with a "breakfast for dinner" night.  When we eat breakfast for dinner, it's usually spinach sausage egg scrambler, fresh fruit, and some fancy baked good.  So in other words, it's nothing like what we actually eat for breakfast.  I've never made monkey bread before, but I guess I was feeling inspired while doing my menu planning last week.  And yesterday I figured I might as well make the first time awesome by not just making monkey bread, but by making Fresh Blueberry Monkey Bread (with a tangy lemon cream cheese glaze, thank you very much.)

What I made was a mash-up of three or four Pinterest recipes because there was no one out there that had everything I wanted.  I wanted to use my bread machine (because I don't "do" dough), wanted fresh berries (instead of canned pie filling) and wanted a lemon-y glaze.  So, this here's what I came up with.  Everyone. loved. it.  (Why did I even have to mention that... it's white bread covered in various layers of sugar.  Of course everyone loved it...)

Bread Machine Blueberry Monkey Bread
(I took a short cut - the ingredients are in bold)

Into your bread machine:

1/3 c. warm water
1 c. warm milk
3 1/4 c. bread flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 T. butter
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast

Hit the "dough" setting and walk away for about an hour and a half.

Spray a bunt or angel food cake pan with cooking spray.

Melt 1/2 - 3/4 c. butter
In a separate bowl mix together 1 1/2 c. white sugar and 1 1/2 T. cinnamon 

Once the dough is done, turn it out of the pan.  Stretch it a bit and use a pizza cutter to cut it into strips, and then into bits that can be rolled into about 1 1/2 in. balls.  

Dip dough balls into butter, then coat well with cinnamon/sugar mixture.  Fill bottom of pan with one layer of dough.  Then, sprinkle blueberries and crushed pecans before placing second layer of dough.  Repeat.  




Cover pan with a towel and set aside to let the dough rise for about 45 minutes.

In a sauce pan, melt 1/4 c. butter.  Stir in 1/2 c. brown sugar and 1 tsp. vanilla.
Pour the sauce evenly over the top of the dough just before baking. 
Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Allow bread to cool for 5 - 10 minutes before turning it out onto a plate.  It may be syrupy, so maybe don't do the flip over the stove top like I did ;)

While bread is cooling, prepare the lemon cream cheese glaze:

Soften 2 oz. cream cheese in the microwave for about 1 minute
Stir in 2 c. of powder sugar until well blended
Add the juice and zest from one lemon 
Continue to stir, and if necessary add a small amount of milk to thin the glaze, or sugar if it needs to be thickened.  

Drizzle over the bread and serve!





(ps - I know I've been trying to be better at including carbohydrate info with the blog recipes, but seriously - you're on your own for this one.  How in the world???  I took my best guess but Aaron still woke up high this morning, so I must have undershot it.  Sorry to stick you with the dirty work if you're carb counting.  But hey, if you get a good handle on it, I won't say "no" if you want to share your numbers with me ;) )

2 comments:

  1. This looks so wonderfully amazing I can't even begin to imagine how good it tasted. Great idea to use the bread machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to try it! It was worth the mess we made preparing it :)

      Delete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...