Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pithy (or Profound)

Pithy (or Profound) - The Things I Might Have Posted on Facebook This Past Week if I Wasn't Pseudo Giving It Up For Lent (I'm allowing myself a Sunday check-in!)
(I think I actually mean trivial or profound, but pithy or profound has a nicer ring to it.  I'm not really too into lexical semantics...obviously.)  

Wednesday (Ash Wednesday)

"Rend your hearts, not your garments."  and "Choose mortifications that don't mortify others."  (the latter is from St. Josemaria Escriva.  Thanks for the reminder, Friend!) 

If you're timing your workouts and the machine says it lasted 30 minutes, but you're body thought it was more like 3 days, is it acceptable to take the average of the two?  

Thursday (St. Valentine's Day)

I've always hated the chalky taste of Conversation Hearts.  Today may distaste for that candy was renewed when I heard my 5 and 6 year old sons reading, "Too hot"  and "Get Real."  When Aaron read, "Don't tell," he actually said, "Does that mean you're not supposed to tell that you're eating candy?"  Yes, son.  Yes it does.  
I'll stick with chocolate - it's usually phrase-free!   

"This love is total... a very special form of personal friendship, in which husband and wife generously share everything with each other, without reservation or selfish calculation.  Whoever truly loves his marriage partner loves not only for what he receives, but for the partner's self, rejoicing that he can enrich his partner with the gift of himself."   - Humanae Vitae, Pope Paul VI
(my go-to reminder for all things marriage and love related)
Happy  St. Valentine's Day!

Friday

Ahhh!  I am surrounded by sick children, and we've passed the point of it being cuddly "I need to be held" sickness.  It's entered the realm of unbelievable whining, noses that overflow onto the furniture, tears and meltdowns, stinky sinus breath, not eating, not drinking, "my legs hurt," "my cheeks hurt,"  "my eyes hurt," my spleen hurts," and then another dose of whining.  

I generally do not participate in, or advocate, "retail therapy" but I'm doing it tonight!  Thanks, Russ, for sending me off to the fabric store!  The promise of quilts and crafts to come will cure this mom's common cold-induced burn-out.  
"Should a mother forget her child?"  (Is. 49:15) No, but a few hours of peace and quiet at the fabric store will at least help her forget the stinky sinus breath.  

Saturday

Feeling sluggish on your Saturday morning?  I have three words for you: John Philip Sousa.  

Sunday

I almost forgot that I have a sewing room.  But I fixed that problem today, and now I have the front of a quilt covering the floor of that sewing room!  I think I'll actually get it done in time for Ruth's birthday!

Monday

I have a red and drippy nose to match my daughters.  Puffs Plus - we love you!  

Tuesday

I promised Dominic that once he mastered the poem he has been learning, I would put it up online.  Unfortunately, we discovered that videos on Blogger have to be under a certain size, so this is a no frills poetry recitation.  It seems cold and calculated, like there's a scary schoolmaster waiting in the wings with a willow switch, but I promise I really did encourage him before he started and praised him when he finished.  You just didn't see it.   C'est la vie  Blogger.  
So, for your enjoyment, presented by Dominic Jerome, a no frills recitation of 
"Little Things" by Julia A. Carney 



Thought about finishing the quilt tonight, but have decided to finish Downton Abbey so that we can stop trying to block all the spoiler alerts that come our way.

* * * * * 

Seeing this collection of possible Facebook publications puts your use of Facebook into perspective, doesn't it, Theresa??  Why yes.  I guess I don't really have that many profound things to share with the world after all.  





1 comment:

  1. Ah! Wonderful poetry recitation, sweet Godson!! Proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...