Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Big Pot of Delicious Chili (10 Days of Family Friendly Soups)

Are you calling me out on my non-soup chili recipe??   Let's call a spade a spade - you make it in the same pot as you make your soups, with practically all the same ingredients, and you eat it with a spoon.  Chili is a soup.
(Even if it wasn't, I'd still give you this recipe because it's so easy and so darn good!)

This series: I've made a lot of soup in the past few years.  I've come to know what my family will eat and what they won't.  Why don't you put my experience to work for you?!  Hope you find something tasty!  (I think you will!)

10 Days of Family Friendly Soups (or a chili!) :: Day 10  
(last day - happy face or sad face? I'm not sure which...)


Over three years ago, we took a family vacation meeting up with two other families for a weekend of fun.  One of the other moms made this chili while we were there and I have remained loyal to it ever since.  Whenever we eat it the kids still ask, "Is this Mrs. Smiths chili?"  I always tell people, if you don't already have a chili recipe that you love, make this your go-to chili.  No other chili recipe needed... at least not for my family!   This is a favorite and I think you'll like it also.  (bonus points - it super easy to make!)   

Big Pot of Delicious Chili


Ingredients
(Note: this recipe makes a big pot of chili, suitable for a large family dinner and then some.  It can easily be cut in half for a smaller dinner!)

1 lb. ground beef, cooked (or 1/3 c. bulgur wheat for meat-free option)
olive oil
1 1/2 large onions, finely diced
2 cloves garlic
1 large green pepper, finely diced
2 cans (28 ounce each) diced tomatoes
1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can red beans, drained and rinsed
1 c. frozen corn
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
 1 tsp. black pepper
2 T. Worcestershire sauce

Instructions

In large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
Saute onions and garlic.  Add green peppers and continue to saute.
Add remaining ingredients.  Stir thoroughly to combine.
Simmer for as long as you want...  1 hour-ish.
(If using the bulgur wheat instead of beef, stir every so often to bring it back up from the bottom of the pot.)

Notes

This chili freezes well.  Just thaw, reheat, and eat.

Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla chips or corn bread.  

The first time I made the chili without meat and used the bulgur wheat instead, no one noticed.  Kids and husband ate it up.  (well, my husband noticed, but he played along...)  Now, I rarely make it with meat to keep it a "budget" meal.

Eating with Diabetes??  Here's your carb info:

meat variety, 1 c = approx. 28 carbs
bulgur wheat variety, 1 c = approx. 32 carbs






*   *   *   *   *   *

When the 10 Days Series is over, all soup (and chili!) recipes will be available on 
The Soup Savvy Page at the top.  So please feel free to Pin them now, or come back and visit the soup page another time!  You won't miss out on anything! 


5 comments:

  1. This chili as so tasty! Did you use bulgar wheat the night we were there? I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first pot was meat, the second one was b. wheat :)

      Delete
  2. My mom has a pretty killer chili recipe, but this one looks really, really yummy. I'm not sure what spices she uses so I may ask her to compare notes with yours. I also love that you can make this meatless! I never would have thought of adding bulgur wheat to chili. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have thought of it either, but I'm fortunate to have some wonderful friends who eat fat free/vegan, so I get a lot of "insider tips" from them!

      Delete
  3. I love sharing a brain with you (again!). haha. I made a giant pot of this very chili this morning. First the beef barley and then veggie chili - I'm starting to think I should put money down on tomorrow's blog recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...