Friday, February 13, 2015

See Me Homeschool (a Blog Hop and Link-Up!)

There are a lot of homeschoolers out there who, after the little kids are finally down for a nap and the bigger kids are chained to seated contentedly at the table with their spelling book, like to blog about the joys of homeschooling.  We've all written about how we do it.  We've shared our thoughts on curriculum and schedules and methods (or about how we've ditched the curriculum, never follow a schedule, and didn't really know until just now that there were various methods of homeschooling...  Wait, what?)  Ahem.   

We love to share success stories, tidbits of wisdom we've learned along the way, tales of what works for us, lists of the best poems for memorization, recommendations on supplies: what to get and what not to get, and even stories of frustration, imperfection, and complete and utter breakdowns that involve self-doubt, notions of quitting, threats of "real school!" or even boarding school, and lots of ugly crying... or yelling.  I, personally, tend to be more of a yeller.  

Ever wonder what's really going on behind those blog posts full of educational goals and plans, poetry recitations, Tuesday teas, real-world science experiments, and gallery-worthy artwork?  What is the reality of the everyday - the day when there might be lots of tea, but it was part of a young chemists attempt to blow up his science book, or the day during which the mom gives quite a speech to her children but it in no way qualifies as a poetry recitation.  What about the ordinary days when all the over-the-summer hours of research and reading reviews to select a math program or writing course come down to a five-minute multiplication worksheet and a mediocre essay on "My Weekend"?

Homeschooling is all of it.  It's fun, it's dirty, it's beauty, it's boring, it's joyful, it's busy, it's enjoyable, it's insane, it's hard.  It's worth it.  And we'd like to show you more about it.

Several homeschooling moms have teamed up to offer a glimpse - literally! - into their homeschooling day.  See Me Homeschool is a blog hop that will feature the day-in-the-life photo albums of a wide variety of homeschooling families - families with younger children that are new to homeschooling, and families in which the mom is a seasoned (and wise) veteran with high schoolers and even homeschool graduates.  Starting Monday, you'll be given the privilege of an insider's perspective on all of this - and more!  (You're starting to feel like a VIP aren't you?!)

Everyone who homeschools does it differently and that's what you'll get to see, because the rule is - only photos, no words.  It's harder than it sounds.  As I was preparing my post, I kept wanting to add an explanation here, or an excuse there, or to write, "it looks peaceful but you should have heard the screaming from the next room!" or "I swear this mess wasn't there a minute ago!" or "usually we get out of the house for some fresh air..."  

The bloggers participating have agreed to let you peer through the window that is your computer screen and "spy" on their homeschooling day - they'll show you what it looks like when the learning is humming along, and when it hits a snag, and maybe even when it all comes crashing down.  But the point is, these aren't posts on methods, ideologies, and programs - they are an invitation to pull up a chair and watch a typical homeschooling day unfold.  You'll have the privilege of seeing where the rubber meets the road and how homeschooling happens (or hangs by a thread) on an average day.

I invite you to join us and to See Me Homeschool!  (hosted by Micaela at California to Korea and myself!)





The blog hop schedule is as follows...
(All homeschooling bloggers are invited to participate in the link-up portion of See Me Homeschool!  See below for details.)

Monday, February 16          Micaela @ California to Korea 
                                         (read Micaela's How I Homeschool interview here)
                                         Theresa @ Ordinary Lovely

Tuesday, February 17         Kelly @ This Ain't the Lyceum  
                                         (read Kelly's How I Homeschool interview here)
                                         Mary @ Better Than Eden

Wednesday, February 18     Christy @ Fountains of Home

Thursday, February 19        Kathy @ 9 Peas

Friday, February 20            Annie @ Annery at Home
                                                 (read Annie's How I Homeschool interview here)

Monday, February 23          Jessica @ Housewifespice
                                                  (read Jessica's How I Homeschool Interview here)
                                         Erin @ Seven Little Australians and Counting

Tuesday, February 24         Dwija @ House Unseen
                                                 (read Dwija's How I Homeschool interview here)

Wednesday, February 25     Kendra @ Catholic All Year
                                                  (read Kendra's How I Homeschool interview here)

Thursday, February 26        Gina @ Someday (hopefully) They'll Be Saints

Friday, February 27            Charlotte @ Waltzing Matilda 
                                                 (read Charlotte's How I Homeschool Interview here)


Not on the schedule??  We'd love to see how YOU homeschool!  Record a typical day in photographs (see if you can follow the no words rule! - it's hard!), post it on your blog and link it up here!  The link-up will be open from Monday, February 16 to the end of the month, so there's lots of time to recruit all your other homeschooling-picture taking-blogging friends as well :)  Hope you'll join us in letting the world see how you homeschool!  I can't wait!  

(please feel free to use the image above for your linked up post!  If the coding stars align themselves, maybe I'll finally be able to turn it into a click-able, grab-able button, but so far all my late-night efforts have been foiled.  I'll keep trying!  In the meantime, thanks for your patience :) )

22 comments:

  1. So excited to read this blog hop! I may have to write a post and link up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! I'd love it if you joined in! I think this link-up will be a fun way to spend the rest of dreary February and I'm hoping that it will be encouraging for all homeschoolers - newbies, veterans, and future hopefuls alike. The more bloggers linking up the better! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! (hope to *see* your day in the link-up!!)

      Delete
  2. Ummm...Yay!! This is brilliant and so exciting!!! Would sharing a post in the day of a 3 and 2 year old count as homeschooling enough to join the link-up? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! Sure - link up as a homeschool hopeful navigating the preschool years at home!!

      Delete
  3. Oh well said:) Love how you've summed up the highs and lows, the reality in all its glory (and not;)
    Rather honoured to be asked, can't wait to see all your days:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy that you'll be contributing, Erin! I'm eager to see how you make it work with your broad range of ages :)

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to hop around see how other people do things!! I am hoping that it makes me feel more "normal" about how our daily grind goes here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm so anxious to see all the differences that will be apparent in a "normal" day :) I can't even think of a day that's truly normal - days that are INSANE certainly aren't normal, but then again, days that are picture perfect aren't normal either ;) Hmmm... starting to learn that "normal" is a very tricky word and maybe should disappear from my vocabulary...

      Delete
  5. I love this idea, especially the only pictures rule. I can't wait to see everyone's posts. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I think getting these glimpses will be so encouraging and helpful in our own home ed journey!

      Delete
  6. I love the windows into homeschooling idea. Maybe I'm nosy? ;) well, I'm off to remember to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is going to be so fun, I'm really looking forward to the peek into everyone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother homeschooled my younger brothers and sister. I don't know how she did it. 4 kids from birth to midway in HS (when they decided to go to public school). I remember piles of books (some that I had to have in my personal library) field trips, quiz sheets, book reports that go the extra miles with meals prepared from the time period. The saturation of each subject was extensive! I can't wait to see how all of these Mom's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea--thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was fun and HARD!! Thank for hosting this link-up! It was neat sharing the CrAzY life of homeschooling our large family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome. I loved looking through all of these! I might have to link up. Makes me feel not so crazy on this homeschool journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe! Me too! Seeing everyone else's days, even though they're all so different, made me feel like what goes on in our home is status quo as far as homeschooling is concerned ;)

      Delete
  13. Oh, goodness - one day left in February... Am I too late to post tomorrow? Do I need an appointment with y'all? (Too much fun, btw, regardless!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too late, Lisa! You can still link up tomorrow :)
      Hope you can!

      Delete
  14. Great post. Thanks for sharing this post to us. This will really help parents to decide what’s best for their child’s education. I truly admire your courage. Looking forward to some of your posts.

    Homeschooling

    ReplyDelete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...