Sunday, December 13, 2015

What I've Been Up To - Home Improvements, Craftiness, All the Things

Haven't done one of these in a while, so how 'bout a good ole fashioned random recap of stuff that maybe no one will read but it's fun to write anyway?  And of course, what's a random round-up post without lots of mediocre phone pics :) :)  :)  

How far back should I go...................   I never shared our pics from the County Fair in August.................

Kidding :)


*   *   *   *   *   *

We've been having lots of stuff done around the house.  Back in October, we finally had our living room ceiling repaired from the water damage that happened last winter.  And as long as they were tearing up the ceiling, we had them install recessed lighting while they were at it.  Our living room is pretty big, and we've only ever had two little lamps lighting it.  In the winter it felt like we were living in a cave, even during the day.  At night -- well, how's a girl supposed to crochet in a dimly lit cave???  So, the new lights have been the best change of all!  And while the worker guys were at it, we had them paint the walls.  And the trim.   And then we decided to get new carpet.  And to replace our furniture of almost 10 years. And now, I LOVE our living room!! 


Before
watching them tear out our ceiling
lights!!!!!!!
during
the work crew we had were awesome!
after
after
after
And then we sort of got carried away and had a neighbor (who's a painter...) paint the dining room.   (The new color is Sherwin Williams Sea Salt)


before
before
after



And then he painted the kitchen.  It's also Sea Salt, but I don't have a pic.  

And then Russ and I did the half bathroom.  It was pink (was that way when we moved in seven years ago) and we finally painted it Sherwin Williams Rainwashed.  And I have some of the kids' lovely handiwork hanging in there, which I love!


before (it was pink when we moved in)





Fresh paint seriously refreshes everything!   


*   *   *   *   *   *

All Saint's Day was celebrated.  There were costumes.  I made most of them, but the big kids helped a little.  They looked awesome for three seconds and then the kids started undressing themselves and by the end of the All Saint's Day party they looked like ragamuffins instead of saints.  Happens every year, and still, we make costumes.....  All costumes brought to you by Champion T-shirts from Target.  Just like every year ;)


St. Katier, St. Patrick, St. Pascual, Our Lady of Guadalupe
(my oldest was out of town...)

*   *   *   *   *   *

I decided I wanted to see what the chalk paint and chalkboard paint crazes were all about so the kids and I headed to the thrift store to look for some projects.  You just never know what you're going to find in those places...






I decided to paint some frames and make some chalkboards for our home because I want to be more like Heather.  There is some seriously ugly art at thrift stores.  But I got some fabulous frames, and now I've got some awesome chalkboards.  Was it bad that I painted over a scary picture of Jesus??






the boys had already memorized the first half, so we just needed the last bit up for review :)
that's Jesus under that there chalkboard...


These frames cost about $5 each at thrift stores.  That plus the cost of the paint makes them WAY less expensive than comparable chalkboards I've seen on Etsy.  So there.  

Then I saw this at JoAnn's and wanted to make one for myself.......



So I did....... And mind ended up cheaper and cuter ;)


I already had the frame from my thrift store escapades.  I just bought the burlap for the backing - $3.99 a yard, baby!

Finally I still have this frame waiting for a future.  They were asking $20 for this beauty at Salvation Army, and I asked the cashier if that was for real.  She ended up giving it to me for $10, which was still way too much, but it is huge and it will make a fun project when I figure out what that is.





*   *   *   *   *   *

I came up with a storage idea for our puzzles and arranging games that I thought was sort of ingenious.  I put them in a clothes hanger-thing in our coast closet so that they're organized and they're behind closed doors so that the big kids can get them but James CAN NOT.  Genius.  


what did I tell you about mediocre photos, huh?!?


*   *   *   *   *   *

I KonMari'd our photos!!!  It. felt. awesome.  I didn't want to eliminate all physical photos because the kids really enjoy looking at them, and I think they provide a sense of family history for all of us beyond the stories we tell.  But I was able to weed out over 50% of our photos and consolidate nearly 10 of those small space-eating albums into two large books.  I bought these books, and they're great!  The best part about this project was that I bought these large albums three years ago and have put off making the switch because I thought it was going to be a huge 3 month-long project.  It wasn't.  I finished it in two nights!!  Now I can go back and order prints for the last four years...... we don't have any family pics since just before Clare was born :(  


some of the old stupid albums

new awesome albums that hardly take up any room!!
 *   *   *   *   *   *

Ok, I've got to wrap this up.  If you made it to the end, thanks!  I've really enjoyed the changes we've been making around here and it was fun to share them with you :)   It's so nice to make improvements that make you fall in love with your own home!

Hey, by the way!  Happy Gaudete Sunday!!  REJOICE!

13 comments:

  1. Ahh I need to steal some of your paint colors in the future! Our entire house is a weird, cheap yellowy off white and after 4 years my patience with it is wearing off.

    And the game org! Ah that's brilliant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant puzzle and game organization!!! Wow!! (Do people really use those for clothes?)
    Also: I think it's OK to paint over scary Jesus if you then write scripture on said chalkboard paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will *of course* only be using the Jesus chalkboard for totally appropriate and un-foolish things ;) ;) ;)

      Delete
  3. This is so great! I feel inspired and motivated and all sorts of happy things! I love, love, love the new living room. Your windows are just awesome, and the paint looks so good. Now I want to go do the chalkboard thing. Off to find a scary goodwill picture frame of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love all of it! What fun! :) Paint is a girl's best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been so busy! I need to do something with our photo situation as well. I haven't had any printed in a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

    2. Isn't it terrible having all this digital storage for photos? I joke that other than their actual bodies, there is no physical evidence that Clare and James exist -- all photos of them are in the cloud.....

      Delete
  6. i love the paint and the furniture. really, really lightens and brightens up the space! and what a great idea doing all those chalkboards! i am slightly obsessed with them and we even painted an entire wall in the playroom with chalkboard paint...but i love the framed ones. you got some seriously big chalkboards now for cheap! i'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making me want to make things with frames!! Those turned out awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Your rooms look fabulous and I love those paint colors!
    And I think it's a good think you painted over scary Jesus. Those chalkboards are super cute and he was super creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! Yeah, Jesus was pretty intense looking. I'm not the only one that thought "just because this is a painting of Jesus doesn't mean it's a good painting" ;)

      Delete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...