Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Pumpkin Spice Almonds (a THM S Snack)


I've recently been spending a lot of time at my parents' home while our living room is out of commission due to repairs and improvements.  Each morning the kids and I stay home long enough to say hi to the work crew and make sure they have a full pot of coffee, and then we leave because you just don't try to homeschool around open ceilings , gooey spackle, and wet paint.  Obviously.  And the dust!  Oh. my. goodness.  Construction dust is like nothing I have ever encountered before.



Anyway, to avoid it all and to have a little bit of space for the big kids to work and the little kids to wreck play, we've been hanging at my mom and dad's.  It only took a few days, but I polished off their stash of amazing flavored almonds.  Wasabi and soy almonds?  Oh my!  

To make a short story long, while I was at the grocery store on a mission to replace the almonds I "borrowed" from my parents, I saw pumpkin spiced almonds, and I think I sang, "Come to me, my beauties!"  out loud.  Much to the embarrassment of my children.  



Of course, the pumpkin spice almonds in the grocery store were laden with sugar and corn syrup, but I knew I could create a tasty autumn-inspired snack on my own that would fit quite nicely with the Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle.



They turned out well.  Very well.  

But I think you'll want to try them for yourself to confirm my assessment ;)   

Measure out two cups of roasted, unsalted almonds...



In a small bowl combine erythritol, Sugar Free Brown Sugar (from Gwen's Nest), THM Super Sweet Blend, a dash of sea salt, and pumpkin pie spice.  



In a separate bowl, beat egg whites, cold water, and a dash of vanilla until frothy...



...add the almonds, stir to coat, then added the spice mix, and stir to coat again :)




Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.  Bake at 250 degrees for 40 minutes, stirring half way through.  




Allow to cool and harden, then brake the almonds apart and store in an airtight tupperware or ziploc bag.   



Pumpkin Spice Almonds 
(a THM S Snack)



Ingredients

2 cups roasted, unsalted almonds

pinch of sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

1 1/2 T. egg whites
1/2 T cold water
dash vanilla extract


Instructions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.

In a small bowl, combine sweeteners, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.

In a medium-size bowl, beat egg whites, water, and vanilla until frothy.

Add nuts and stir to coat.  Add spice mixture and stir to coat.

Spread almonds on the cookie sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 40 minutes.  Stir half way through.

Remove from oven and allow to cool and harden.  Break almonds apart by hand if necessary.  Store almonds once they are completely cooled.

Or enjoy a handful right away :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...