Sunday, June 29, 2014

Happiness. Lately. (Vol. 1)

(auto posted while I'm on vacation :)  )

I'm going to try something new: a monthly collection of "Happiness" - appreciating God's goodness in the little things and seeing his grandeur in the simplicity of my life and "Lately" - what I've been into and up to (books, music, food, great finds, etc...)  I'll test it out and see if I like the format enough to continue with a new edition at the end of each month...

Happiness.  Lately.
Volume 1 :: June 2014

Happiness is...

Forget-Me-Nots...


Siblings...



Littler helpers and planting my herb garden...


Strawberry picking, jam making, and vying for the title of "Best Mother on the Block" by serving scrumptious strawberry pancakes on the deck... for lunch!


watermelon with freshly squeezed lime - my favorite summertime snack...




Lately...

Lately I've been reading...


Something Other Than God, Jen Fulwiler 

Emily of New Moon, L. M. Montgomery (the author of Anne of Green Gables.  I read the Emily trilogy when I was in high school and found all three books for 99 cents for my Kindle, so I'm re-reading it while I'm exercising on the elliptical.  So fun to revisit old favorites!)















Laetly I've been reading with the kids...

The Horse and His Boy, C. S. Lewis.  (still.  we having a hard time getting through this one.)

The Ransom of Red Chief, O. Henry  (we read this in anticipation of letting them watch a favorite movie from my childhood, "No Deposit, No Return." I can't wait!)


Lately, I've been eating...

salad every day for lunch.  This is huge for me, because I'd rather have any number of things besides salad.  But I'm trying.  And to eat so much salad I have been coming up with various combinations of tasty toppings.  Here's a great one: (greens, carrots, cucumbers) with dried cranberries, salt/pepper almonds, feta cheese, and lemon vinaigrette.  Yum!



Lately I've been working on...

getting the rest of the gardens planted.  In addition to our regular veggies, we're trying some fun and colorful carrots and swiss chard this year.  I hope they grow!


Lately I've been wearing... e.l.f. Essential Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in "Coco Loco."   It's $2 and it's perfect for summer.  Light but sweet!

 Lately I've been creating ... 

Mittens!!  It's never too early to start crocheting for fall!

don't get too excited.  it's decaf...
Lately I'm loving...

viewing my world through Susan's eyes.  That's just a poetic way of saying I've become enamored with the the "Susan" filter in ipccy.  I go through phases where sometimes I like my photos to be pure and "original" quality.  Then I go through a vintage-look phase.  That's where I am now - as you can see from all the above pics.  "Susan" seems to fit my mood lately.  Here are a few side by sides for your consideration.  (Susan is on the right!)
 

And there you have it.  My Happiness.  Me Lately. 

What have your simple pleasures been this past month?

5 comments:

  1. I love this happiness post! What a great idea. I've got my own "happy" sort of post about ready...

    So, gardening lady, give me some tips!! My garden looks so sad and terrible this year. I can't get my tomatoes to grow at all. Nor my beets. And we have a mouse eating our strawberries. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gina! I saw your comment here last night and then your facebook mention of your happiness post this morning! I think you're idea sounds great :)
    I have NO gardening tips. Every year we plant just praying that something grows and keeps the kids excited and engaged. We've had lots of luck with tomatoes, sugar snap peas, carrots, and bush beans every year. We also grow lettuce each year, but we always just manage to get "baby" greens. It's my dream to have a veggie garden that can actually FEED us through the summer, but right now, it's more of a "snack" garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!! Hope you are relaxing a bit on vacation...Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post, I love all the photos AND the little tidbits you sprinkled them with!!

    ReplyDelete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...