Thursday, July 4, 2013

Celebrating Independence Day

I love Independence Day.  It's a holiday-combination of a love of our country, appreciation for the innumerable freedoms we have, and my love of Thomas Jefferson - it's something to do with his being a strict Constitutionalist who also played the violin... a very sexy combination.  

Ahem.  Back to independence.  Well, actually, I'm really tempted to launch into a soap box editorial on the attempt of some folks to separate God and country...  And I actually did, but just deleted it 'cause I thought I'd better just stick with celebratory for today.  

So we celebrated the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave and the inventor of the dumb waiter (that's Jefferson, of course!) with cake.  I use to make these flag cakes when I was a kid, so I thought it was time to turn the task over to my boys.  I tried to stay out of it and let them take creative control.  That was tricky.  But here's the delicious cake we ended up with... 


We added mini pictures of the Declaration of Independence and the famous pic of the signing - taped on wooden skewers and stuck in there - but my camera ran out of batteries before I could get a shot :(  


Happy Independence Day, America!  


Heavenly Father, You are the real foundation of nations, raising them up
to serve and care for the people dwelling in their boundaries.
I thank You for making me a citizen of this land of freedom
and unlimited opportunity---which are the result of its Christian base.
Send forth your Spirit to this country and make it a source of wisdom
and strength, order and integrity throughout the world. Amen.

(from 2heartsnetwork.org)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...