Saturday, December 26, 2015

Happy Handmade Christmas, Vol 4 (2015)

Merry Christmas, friends!!  We had a lovely celebration yesterday - morning Mass with my parents, a small gathering at our house, our traditional Christmas Snack Table, and lots of delightful family time (including a walk in the late afternoon warmish weather!)  I hope you and your family enjoyed a beautiful day of merriment and joy to celebrate the birth of our Savior!!  



Anyway... Christmas Day is done, so that means I finally get to show you what I had been working on for gifts!  This year I had been working on a few crochet afghans, so I ended up giving fewer (but bigger) handmade gifts than usual.  

Over a year ago I started making afghans for my older boys.  The girls each have a quilt that I made them, so I making blankets for the boys was a priority.  They chose the color scheme themselves and then I did the "design" and work.  

Aaron chose red, orange, and yellow.  So here's what I came up with....

Oh wait - please understand that it's super hard to take pictures of blankets that are spread out on the ground.  If I was suspended from the ceiling I could get an ok shot perspective-wise, but as it it, standing on my tip-toes on my coffee table or couch, you get a picture that makes it look like all the blankets I make are trapezoids.  They are not.  It just looks like they are :)

So, here's Aaron's blanket...





Dominic chose blue and green...




We had to check Aaron's blood a gazillion times last night but it helped ease the pain and annoyance of late-night arm wrestling with a sleeping child to see him snuggled up like this :)


James didn't really have a say as to what his blanket looked like...




I suspected that this would happen, but James definitely did not want a new blanket in his crib last night.  You know how babies get used to the things they have in their beds night after night... well, it's going to take a warming up period before James is ok with adding this to his "comfort things" :)

The last afghan I gave was to my parents.  It's a granny rectangle that I started back in March.  I LOVE this blanket.  The colors!  The softness!  I'm looking forward to having one in my living room :)  It was so big that I couldn't even get the whole thing in a picture -- so you'll just have to use your common sense to visualize the rest of the rectangle...




Finally I made a few hats for the little kids...

I used this pattern for the Viking hats and this idea for the princess hat....




They're good for dress up indoors...



 Or for playing outdoors...






Or for dressing up your brother...


And the only non-yarn items were the saint dolls I painted for St. Nicholas Day.  Added to our collection this year were St. Nicholas, St. Joan of Arc, St, Juan Diego, St. George, and St. Lucia :)



So, that was it this year.  Now starts the season where I typically make something for myself.  What will it be???  Last year it was cotton dishcloths.  I think I need a new blanket :)

You may also like...

Previous years' Happy Handmade Christmas posts:



5 comments:

  1. So pretty!! I love them all but I think I like James' best. He can loan it to me if he wants til he's ready for it back ;) Such beautiful gifts! And the hats are so awesome! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hats! And you have incredible detail on your peg dolls. Well done and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love the blanket. (Also we were shirt twins for Christmas ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely gifts--heirlooms all. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Theresa, Merry Christmas to you and your family xxxxxxx
    Afghans are so inviting but just love the Viking hats!:)

    ReplyDelete

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...