Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Five Things

 So, I've been tagged in this "Five Things" twice, I think?  I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to do... I think it's supposed to be some combination of trying to inspire (or surprise) you with the innermost secrets of my heart and embarrassing myself with bizarre facts about me.  I shall do my best...

1.
I love to watch PBR.  Maybe you know or maybe you don't... it's professional bull riding.  I love it.  I especially love to watch it on tv... because the one time my husband took me to a live pbr event, I went too long without nursing the baby and developed a case of knock-you-flat-on-your-back mastitis (t.m.i.?  whatever.  it's life.) and I now suffer from post traumatic live-pbr-event stress syndrome.


2.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a seismologist when I grew up, but not really because I had any deep understanding of, or appreciation for, tectonic plates and earthquakes, though.
Now I see that I probably chose that because it impressed adults when I told them :)
When I got a little older, my dream job became to be the person that rides the whales at Sea World.  (Free Willy advocates, leave me alone.)

this coulda been me...

3. 
On days when I want to quit homeschooling, it's not so much because the kids are driving me crazy, it's mostly because I just want to do sewing projects and crafts all day long.  I can think of a long list of sacrifices families make to help keep the privilege of homeschooling a reality; my greatest sacrifice is giving up alone time that I'd use for sewing things...  or at least cleaning up my sewing room!
Here's my most recent project, completed in snippets of stolen time - a bag that's so popular it's even become a favorite of trans-Atlantic travellers (hi, Mom and Dad!  Hope the bag is holding up!)

"lickety split bag" from Made By Rae

4.
I love Celine Dion.  If I loved her any less, I might be embarrassed about it.  But I love her so deeply that I'm proud to admit it ;)  Since I can handle a little French, it's especially gratifying that I can love her in two languages!
Pour Que tu M'aimes Encore
Je T'aime Encore
(ignore cheesy images and just love the songs!)

5.
A couple years ago I lost my favorite prayer card (that I'd had since the mid- 90's)... so I'm putting this out there to see if any of the 12 people that read this might be able to help me out...
It was a Consecration to the Sacred Heart prayer card from the Apostleship of Prayer.  The front was an image of the Sacred Heart - I think it said Jesus I trust in you under it - the back was the prayer (kind of long - smaller text, filled the back of the approx. 2x3.5 card).  I've checked the Apostleship website, but can't find it - the consecration they have up now is different.  Soooo... if you think you have it, could you leave me a comment and maybe I can get the text of the prayer again????
In the mean time, here's another of my favorites to share:

Dear Jesus, Help me to spread your fragrance everywhere I go.  Flood my soul with your spirit and life.  Penetrate and possess my whole being, so utterly, that my life may only be a radiance of yours.  Shine through me, and be so in me, that every soul I come in contact with may feel your presence in my soul.  Let them look up and see no longer me, but only Jesus.  Stay with me, and then I shall begin to shine as you shine; so to shine as to be a light to others.  The light, O Jesus, will be all from you, none of it will be mine; it will be you shining on others through me.  Let me thus praise you in the way you love best by shining on those around me.  Let me thus preach you without preaching, not by words but by my example, by the catching force, the sympathetic influence of what I do, the evident fullness of the love my heart bears to you.  Amen.
- John Henry Cardinal Newman 
(adapted and used by Blessed Mother Teresa and the Missionaries of Charity)


* I was a little late to the party and I think everyone I know has already done this list of Five Things.
But if you haven't, tag - you're it.*






No comments:

Post a Comment

Like the old song says, "comments are a girl's best friend." Or something like that... So... leave a comment! I love chatting here! Pretend you're on my back porch, kick the broken plastic sandbox toys aside, sip your iced coffee, or beer, or (__fill in the blank with your beverage of choice__) and let's talk about all the things, because back-porch blogging is what I do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...